Monday, March 7, 2011

Busy Busy Bee!

Well so far I have completed a few more of my tasks, and have started some more. This weekend (including today) have really given me opportunities to work on myself and my list.
28. Substitute every day possible, including half days. 
March really worried me as far as getting days of work. Not only is it a long month, meaning more time between pay checks, but spring break falls right in the middle. I know that one of the benefits of teaching is the holiday time off but for a substitute, who only gets paid on days you show up, these days loom with a big $0 on the calendar. So last Friday I took a half day. With the grad exam I figured if I had any luck it was going to be a half day, so totally happy with my Friday. I subbed for a teacher I had never heard of, but he did have a few students I know from last year and this year. I always love seeing students who I taught last year and catching up with them. 
This week is a little better and I have some jobs set up for after spring break, just stay positive about all the days that come available. 
27. Plant flowers and clean up front porch area
This project began when we were in Huntsville. Our first stop was to Hobby Lobby. Little known fact about The BF, never had he been to Hobby Lobby before I forced him last year. He had decided girly fabric stores did not fit his idea of a good store. Last year, while looking for baseball card holders I talked him into trying it out. Now every time we are near one he mentions how he could just go in a browse to see what is there. I like this attitude toward Hobby Lobby, but I much prefer the idea of checking out the ad and seeing what is 1/2 that week then making a be line straight toward it. Well last week we had half off collage frames, so we headed toward framing. There The BF was able to find, out of 2 rows of frames, a baseball card holder frame. We talked about it and determined that to hold all of this Auburn cards it would take 20 frames. The best part is right there in the aisle he told me the exact number of baseball, football, basketball, and "other sports" he has in his collection. We decided to get one and put his most valuable hall of famers in it, and see if we could replicate the idea somehow for the other 19 necessary. 
Then we walked over toward the rugs. I wanted to see if there were any door mats that looked nice, and we decided on one that we both liked and it will be a part of my front porch makeover. 
Now if you have been to my house you know that the front porch is not much to brag about as far as size, but it definitely could use a scrub down and spruce up. Pics to come later of the finished product!
26. Enjoy the rain, remind yourself that you love spring! (not only because it is the season of your birth)
So this one may come a surprise to those of you who live in Birmingham but as a part of this list I decided to run Saturday outside. I needed to get in 4 miles for my training plan, and since running inside is not an option I had to go for it. I choose the park in front of Spain Park High, and I choose the hour that least likely would bring rain. Off I drove, under the not very clear but not raining sky. I pulled in the parking lot with the first sprinkles. Sitting in my car I had 2 options: Should I turn around and drive back home? I had just driven 8.9 miles and gas prices are going up, up, up. Or should I get out, stretch, and remind myself that I love rain because it brings me spring? Well I got out, looked around, and headed for the shelter. Under the shelter I looked around and luckily I saw a man running. If he can do it so can I. I walked around a little, stretched, and headed off. I was so happy I did, running in the warm-ish rain made me so thankful. I started getting a little tired after 3.2 miles and reminded myself you have just run 3 miles in the rain just finish it up. What a joy!
25. Choose a Lenten offering and really consider the meaning of Lent. 
So after considering this for a while this year I will be attending the afternoon Lent Studies group at Cahaba Heights UMC. I am looking forward to becoming more involved here in a local church and this seems like a study I really could benefit from attending. 
I also read a book lately called Everyday Justice. As a result of this book I am trying to make changes to be more just to people in the world. One day a week I will eat only organic foods to increase my just treatment of workers who produce the food I eat. The book outlined the impact that fertilizers have on local water systems in countries with no laws regulating these chemicals. Coming from a very agricultural area of the country I understand the reality of fertilizers and other herbicides for the livelyhood of small farmers but once a week I can dedicate myself to the just treatment of others and the planet.
24. Update my facebook status more often
I am working on this... stay tuned to the facebook to keep up.
16. Clean the "office"
This project began today, I took the bed downstairs and started really cleaning. Pics will follow when I finish and explain the whole process!
6. Donate unwanted clothes/shoes
I have a better idea: Who is up for a clothing exchange in April? I did some serious closet cleaning, and have some more to complete... I will host this year!
In addition to my list I also baked cookies on Saturday and made icing to decorate them. I plan on using this idea of cookies on a stick and putting them in little planters stuck in with candies (reeses pieces and almost joy pieces) for Easter. This was the dry run for the big party!

I guess that is the total update for my weekend. Not much has been completed but much has been started!

1 comment: