Thursday, March 3, 2011

The List

So to begin this blog I guess I should introduce the idea of my 30 by 30.
A friend of mine recently mentioned training for, and running a half marathon. Now this is something I have been wanting to do for a while and just never had the follow through to get it done. When she told me the date of the proposed half I have to admit the first thing I though of is the Royal Wedding. I mean who wouldn't think about how cute Prince Harry will be supporting his balding brother while he marries Kate? Then I remembered that is my birthday weekend! (Duh, Wills and Kate wanted me to have a fab birthday celebration!) And to make things even more special this is my golden birthday year (Hooray)  I have been waiting for my golden birthday since my friends started talking about them in 3rd grade.  

DOOM why did I never realize this birthday means I am turning 30? 
So I was sold on the idea of running the half marathon on my 30th birthday. When I am running I often get bored and want to stop so my tactic is to think of something and get lost in that thought. Well since I had my birthday on my mind it just came to me: I will make a list of 30 things to do by the time I turn 30. The final thing will be the half marathon and I can always think back to these things as my golden birthday celebration. Hopefully they will also distract me from the looming new decade and any stress that my life may bring. 
So I will do my best to make the list short. I will explain all of them in individual posts as I complete the task... so here goes. 
30. Start a blog (about the list that this task is on)
29. Visit the Rocket Center in Hunstville
28. Substitute every day possible, including half days.
27. Plant flowers and clean up front porch area
26. Enjoy the rain, remind yourself that you love spring! (not only because it is the season of your birth)
25. Choose a Lenten offering and really consider the meaning of Lent.
24. Update my facebook status more often
23. Re-format my resume and send to Mr. Hulin. Make this a weekly email!
22. Make a summer decision about work
21. Figure out a budget to get through the summer
20. Visit with family at Melissa's wedding, take lots of pictures
19. Run a new trail or park
18. Complete a puzzle
17. Wish an old friend Happy Birthday
16. Clean the "office"
15. Remind myself why I am doing these things.
14. Get the sewing machine out of the basement
13. Write letters to my friends letting them know how important they are to me.
12. Spend the better part of a day cyber stalking all things Royal Wedding and prepare DVR
11. Call Scott and Jeff just to chat
10. Have a really hard conversation
9. Start riding for Free Wheel
8. Start graduation cards
7. Clear out and organize basement closet
6. Donate unwanted clothes/shoes
5. Enjoy Easter and celebrate the life I am living
4. Write rec letters for Tri Delta girls
3. Keep applying for positions with foundations that support my values
2. Reflect on accomplishments in my first 30 years
1. FINISH THE ROCK N ROLL HALF MARATHON


I did my best to put these in a sort of order that will be easiest to complete them in and hopefully I will have all of them complete by 30 April 2011. Strike that, I will have all of them complete (and some of them may be ongoing) And lucky me I already have one marked off! I started a blog. (hooray me)

4 comments:

  1. Rock and roll, Emma! You can do it!
    xo-
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you started a blog! We need to get together soon!!! I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoop Whoop! Running time! I agree with Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny thing, I almost put one of my things to do: Get the Montevallo girls together to hang out... I can do 31 things!

    ReplyDelete