Friday, March 4, 2011

Number 29 (and a little extra)

Well after living in Alabama for nearly 3 years I have finally made it to Huntsville! I know it is only 1.5 hours away and I have never been there. Actually my mom let me know that I have actually been there in utero so probably about 30 years ago actually. I have also never been to Mobile, but that trip comes after the birthday and courtesy of my California Cousin Liz! I can't wait to hang out with her, and how appropriate we will be going to the Hang Out Festival! Anyway back to yesterday, The BF had a job interview yesterday morning and since I did not have a job we decided to make a day of his drive north.
On the way up The BF went over his presentation, and practiced his answers to interview questions while I drove. Usually I drive my little car so when I drive his big SUV it takes me a minute to get used to the whole thing, but yesterday it was especially windy. I had a moment when I thought if I had to drive with 2 hands on the wheel all the time I would never be able to drive as far as I do alone. For a while I really appreciated all the driving The BF does when we go places, particularly to OK. Back to reality, he likes to drive and I let him!
When we got there The BF went to his interview and I had come prepared to run! I thought I would go over to the UAH campus and run for a while or something, we were on University Dr after all. Instead I ran as far as the sidewalk took me in one direction and turned back and ran as far as I could the other way plus a little side street. It was fun, new town and new atmosphere. When I came back The BF had moved his car to the next parking lot and was running down the interview with a friend. Perfect, I stretched and we wandered around Huntsville a little. More on what we did in another blog, it is related to #27 so not to long to wait!

Anyway the good stuff. After The BF got settled we drove over to the Rocket Center! Hurrah! OK I have to be honest here. If I had, had a 13by13 blog Space Camp would have been my number 1. Or maybe it would have been 9by9 who knows. I think it lasted about a year but those commercials made Space Camp look SO FUN! So I didn't really even want to go into the museum I just needed to be able to say I was there (got the t-shirt, but not really).
We walked up along the main walk and followed all the planets telling their size, atmosphere, temperature, that kind of stuff. EARTH IS SMALL! or maybe JUPITER AND SATURN ARE BIG!

We took some pics of the Blackbird spy plane.
And Saturn V the replica anyway. This is the tallest space ship (or whatever it is) ever.

I don't remember which shuttle this is, but it is not stored indoors like the shuttle Discovery will be. (As well as the other 2 shuttles NASA is about to retire)

We walked around until I had satisfied my Space Camp desire. Well honestly like I mentioned earlier it was really windy and I only brought shorts so I didn't last long outside.
The BF drove us home so I didn't have to deal with the wind again but we did have an interesting stop.
I was so hungry and demanded lunch, after all it was almost 2:30 and I had not eaten since 7:00 and run during the interview. We are driving through the great big middle of no places to eat (typical) and then a sign for DQ. Not my favorite but they have chicken fingers and I am hungry and getting grumpy. We pull off and who knew Stuckey's still existed? Neither of us did! So I got my lunch but better than that I got to look around at all the crap they have in Stuckey's. Magnet in the shape of all 50 states (check), shot glasses of all shapes and varieties including many with confederate flags (check), autographed Alabama jerseys hanging from the ceiling (check), but most importantly the pecan log roll!
On my way to dance class on Saturday mornings when I was little we passed a Stuckey's, but more importantly we passed signs proclaiming the delicousness that is the pecan log roll. As a kid my mom used bribes to get me to clean (when I get to #16 this will make much more sense) and at some point the bribe involved a pecan log roll. I don't remember what it was I had to do to get that P.L.R. but when I did I was planning on eating it like a candy bar. Mom tried to warn me that the intention for the P.L.R.. was to enjoy it slowly. So she cut a little piece to show me, and enjoyed it like a commercial actor would facial movements and mmm-ing included. I took my piece and bit right it. I don't know if I spit it out or out of pride and humiliation ate the whole thing but I can tell you I would not ever again clean my room for a Stuckey's Pecan Log Roll! 

Hope you have a great weekend! Let's see what I can accomplish from The List.
PS I know I said these would be short, but no one ever liked a story without all the gory details!

No comments:

Post a Comment