Sunday, April 24, 2011

One week away from my goal

Well BirthMonth is on the downhill slide, and my 20's are seriously lacking the longevity I always knew they would present. All I can do is say wow what a decade!
Lets see if I can hit some high points...
The day I turned 20 I had a serious breakdown. Really, I am taking the whole end of the 20's better than I did the end of my teenage years. When I turned 20 I thought it was time to grow up and be responsible, if you knew me then you know I needed a few more years before I could say I obtained a sense of responsibility.
My first trip abroad in the last decade was when I studied abroad at Harlaxton College. (again with the responsibility, or lack there of) I met some of my very best friends there and got to know some friends better. Nothing like a study abroad experience to make for life long friendships. I cannot imagine my life without those experiences in class, school, and life. Oh the places you will go: England, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Holland, Lichtenstein, and Greece but listing the countries does not begin to explain the places I experienced along the way.
Quickly upon my arrival back in the states, well 3 days later, I had my 21st birthday. A milestone in any young American's life, with the exception that I had lived in England for the past 4 months. I did go ahead and partake as any student on their 21st birthday though.
That summer was a doozie back in Checotah, then off to start my senior year at Baker U. What a good time and not just saying this but lots of studying. The was the year the library opened back up on campus and we sure did enjoy the "view". I had a few friends who just hung out there and while there were still people coming in and out spent our time socializing, only after everyone else was sleeping did we begin our homework.
Begin 2003: Over spring break I made another trip to London and this time went alone. I did go to visit some friends in Grantham and at Harlaxton as well as make new friends in London. I did some research at Lords Cricket Grounds for my capstone paper and really learned a lot about my topic, no matter what my overall grade reflected.
That summer was a very relaxing time, from the pool to baseball games with my friend John. We ended with a cross country road trip to California, and what a journey.
Fall back to school (everyone needs that little extra bit of time in college to wrap things up) it was different with half of my class gone and working. I lucked out and had a great place to live and friends who were willing to keep me company off campus. This last semester is filled with so many memories of good times weekend afternoons with Jimi, the Halloween parties, and football games.
2003 is most famous in family for the people we lost, and what a journey that became. The end of a generation on both the Hey and Meador side of my family left in same year, only Aunt Ivy made it to 2004.
So 2004 brought even more exciting travel and new friends. I was honored to have the opportunity to live and work at Pax Lodge in London. For those of you who do not know what this is a brief synopsis is that the World Association of Girl Guide and Girl Scouts have 4 World Centers, Our Chalet in Switzerland, Our Cabana in Mexico, Sangam in India, and finally Pax Lodge in London. Each different center provides a different experience for young ladies to come and partake in. London serves as the urban experience that is closely related to Lord and Lady Baden Powell and the beginnings of scouting. As an 18 year old girl I came for a week and learned a lot from the volunteers that kept the Lodge running. I could not believe I was going to be a part of providing the same experience for other young ladies across the world.

While here I worked and played among some of the most amazing women I will ever meet. The dedication and motivation I have taken from these women have changed my life. Today in church our pastor mentioned having as few as 5 life changing moments per person. Most people mention things like falling in love, getting married and having children. Spending time at Pax Lodge and forming life long friendships with women from every corner of the globe ranks above anything to this point in my life. I knew it would be fun, but I had no idea I would develop an affinity for Springbok rugby, Japanese culture, Canadian weather, Swedish animal sounds, and Russian-well Russians. The ways I changed are innumerable and I wish I could thank the people who made it possible more often.

It had to end and upon my return to the states I quickly gathered my things for the next big move to Dallas. My friend Jimi and I were ready to start a new life and move around in a new environment. The 1.5 years in the apartment saw much and participated in much including the takeover from Hurricane Katrina, we even had our own FEMA refugee in the form of friend Andrea.  (She was not really a Katrina refugee)
I was able to spend tons of time with my nephew Jenson and be in the same city when little brother Ian cam along 2 years later. Tuesdays with the boys became a regular thing and I really enjoyed the time with family in Dallas.
I was soon transferred to Oklahoma and closer to my hometown. My brother and sister-in-law soon returned north with the boys so I still was able to spend time with them and enjoy the boys growing up. I added a new member to my family when I got Cricket from the Claremore Animal Shelter. She was so sweet in her kennel just looking up at me, she fit most of the requirements I had for my new dog and she has enriched my life in ways I could not imagine.
On a routine business trip to Dallas my life would change again, this time in a way I could never have expected. More on the second half of this decade in life tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment